A brief history of Redbank State School
In July 1865, Redbank State School sat on a 2 acre parcel of land approximately 25km west of Brisbane. The building, originally serving as both a school room and a church, was opened by the Reverend Henry Brun, Priest Administrator of the Catholic district of Ipswich. The original number of pupils enrolled was 31. In October of the same year, the school was granted non-vested status, thereby receiving aid in the form of books and teacher’s salary. The building, however, remained vested with the church. It was not until many years later that the school was purchased by the then Department of Public Instruction.
The school-cum-chapel was one of two buildings; the other being a five-roomed teacher’s residence. In 1881 the chapel was pulled down and re-erected on the same site. Verandahs were also added. While the school was being repaired, school was held in the teacher’s residence. By 1911 the shingle roof was totally unserviceable and was at that time was replaced with iron.
In 1915, a singled-roomed open-air annexe was built and for many years housed Grades 1 and 2. However, the disadvantages of the canvas blinds soon became apparent and the annexe was enclosed with proper windows in the 1920’s. In 1930, due to health concerns, the play shed which had been erected in 1906 was demolished. Much improvement work was carried out to this area to provide playing fields.
In 1934, the teacher’s residence was rebuilt at a cost of 706 pounds.
During the years 1939 to 1945, the threat of the bombing of the army camps in the area necessitated the digging of trenches around the school. Children were each issued with a water bottle and some biscuits in case of prolonged stays in the trenches. The school was actually closed for two months in 1942.
In 1951, an additional 5½ acres of land was resumed for playground purposes and in 1962 a bitumen parade ground was provided. In 1968, the elevated teaching block, which then housed the library and upper school classrooms, was constructed. Since then, it has been necessary to increase the building area and three demountable buildings have been added over time.
With limited space on the school grounds and constant disruption to classes, in 1995 the school community applied for, and was granted approval for on-site enrolment management to effectively manage student enrolment.
In 2010, a Resource Centre was built on site which houses the school library, kitchen/ science room and a computer lab.